A Letter from the Inner Guard
Congratulations! You made it through another year of life! This past year hasn’t been easy, by any means. It was probably full of tears, heartbreak, and maybe even loneliness. It was full of changes, some good, and some bad. But it was also a year full of laughter, memories, new friendships, and love. No matter what life threw at you, you took it and ran with it. You grew from it and you learned from it, and that is something you should be incredibly proud of yourself for. Now it is time to look forward to 2019! I am not big on New Year’s resolutions. I don’t care if I lose 10 pounds. But I do like to remind myself of what I am called to do on this earth. I think that it can even help us as Elks. Here are my reminders for 2019.
- Don’t get down when your life takes a bad turn. Out of adversity comes challenge and often success.
- Don’t blame others for your setbacks. When things go well, always give credit to others.
- Don’t talk all the time. Listen to your friends. Learn from them.
- Don’t brag about yourself. Let others point out your virtues, your strong points.
- Give someone else a hand. When a friend is hurting, show that you care.
- Remember, no one likes an overbearing big shot.
- As you succeed, be kind to people. Thank those who have helped you along the way.
- Don’t be afraid to shed a tear when your heart is broken.
I think that if we as men and women, if we as Elks can do these things, our lodge and our lives will be better for it. Here’s to a Great New Year. A great new adventure. A great 2019!
Rick Speery, Inner Guard