What do the following golf courses have in common?*
- Seattle Country Club
- Port Townsend Golf Club
- Kitsap Golf & Country Club
- Peace Portal Golf Club — Vancouver B. C.
- Jackson Park Golf Club — Seattle
- Eagles’ Pride Fort Lewis Golf Course — Tacoma
- Sand Point Country Club — Seattle
- Mapleview Golf & Country Club — Seattle
- Walla Walla Country Club
- Missoula Country Club
- Moscow Elks Golf Club
*They are some of the courses deigned by golf course architect, Francis “Frank” James.
According to Keith Petersen in his book This Crested Hill, “His designs were (and are) considered “splendid golf courses utilizing what nature provided. He did not mutilate the natural surroundings: rather he gently molded and adapted them to a new use. They are utilitarian uses of the landscape, a tribute to the man who envisioned them.”
The Moscow Elks Golf Course follows the same routing, with very minor changes, from what James laid out in 1928.